JUICY Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
2 kg / 4 lb turkey breast, skin on, boneless or bone in, single or double breast (if using frozen, thaw it)
1 head of garlic, cut in half horizontally
1 onion (brown, yellow or white), unpeeled, cut in half
5 sprigs of thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme leaves)
1½ tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
5 grinds of black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
Chicken stock/broth (or water), for topping up liquid if needed
4 tbsp butter
¼ cup flour
Salt and pepper
1. Mix together Rub ingredients to make a wet paste.
2. Place garlic, onion and thyme in the bottom of the slow cooker cooker, cut side down.
3. Pat turkey dry, rub with Rub, using most on top.
4. Place turkey on garlic etc. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. See full recipe on my site for cook time for different turkey weights / sizes.
5. Remove turkey from the slow cooker and let it rest for 20 minutes before crisping the skin. Make gravy while turkey is resting.
6. Crisp the Skin: Preheat grill/broiler to high. Place an oven shelf 30cm / 1 foot from the heat source. Remove turkey breast from the slow cooker into a heatproof serving dish. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes until the skin is crispy.
7. Gravy: Strain the liquid into a measuring jug, squishing the garlic etc to extract all the flavour. If you are short of 2 cups, top up with chicken broth (I usually get 2 cups of liquid from a 4 lb / 2 kg turkey breast).
8. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix to combine. Pour about ½ cup of liquid into the flour mixture and mix until it forms a paste. Slowly add remaining liquid, stirring as your go. Use a whisk if required to make the gravy smooth. Simmer until thickened – take it off before it is as thick as you want because it will continue to thicken.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with turkey.